Friday, November 25, 2005

Back to Madoka

We went back to Madoka a second time. We didn't get there until around 9:00pm, after a long and exhasting day in Bellvue with the kids. I made a reservation, but needn't have. I should have blogged about it sooner, because I've forgotten some of the details.

The food was as good as last time. Debbie started with a really amazing crab salad, in which the crab was cooked almost like a crab cake and placed on a bed of greens. I had the American Kobe beef quesadilla, served with a tomatillo salsa. Using Kobe-style beef in a quesadilla seems a little over-the-top, but it was good.

For an entree, Debbie had scallops served with a basil ginger sauce and fritters (of what I don't remember) with a chipotle mayonnaise. It was fabulous. I had a red curry risotto with prawns, mussels, and salmon. Sometimes I worry when I order a mixed seafood dish with salmon, because it often turns out to be overcooked extra-pink farmed atlantic salmon with an off flavor (you all know what I'm talking about!), but this was a nice bit of wild-caught king salmon, just cooked enough to be translucent. The red curry worked really well as a risotto. The rice was cooked perfectly, i.e. not to the point of mushiness, and there was enough sauce to give it a creamy texture and good flavor without overwhelming the rice.

We shared a bottle of another very reasonably priced wine, this time a Riesling from Alsace.

For dessert, Debbie had the white chocolate creme caramel again, and I had apple pie with ginger ice cream. I was pleasantly surprised to get real apple pie; everyone seems to make little tarts with paper-thin slices of apple these days.
|