Thursday, November 24, 2005

Brouwers Cafe Redux

I went to Brouwers just after it opened, and thought the food was so-so. Yesterday I returned for lunch, and I am pleased to report that it was much better this time. They're pretty empty at lunchtime, which is perhaps not surprising for a shrine to Belgian beer. I had a bratwurst (made by Uli's), served on a pile of warm sauerkraut mixed with coarse Dijon mustard. The bratwurst was browned but not overdone, and the sauerkraut had a good, homemade flavor. I also had a small side of fries, which were great, as one should expect at a Belgian restaurant, served with some garlicky aioli, much better than the aioli I had last time. The menu also has more choices than it did last time, including some stews which looked intriguing, so I'll have to go back and try those.
|