Sunday, April 30, 2006

Indian Boil-in-the-Bag

In the last couple of months we've tried a couple of ready-made Indian entrees which come sealed in a foil pouch. The first line comes from Kitchens of India, which are imported from India rather than made domestically. They're available locally at the T&C. They export 5 vegetarian entrees: Palak Paneer (cheese in spinach), Pav Bhaji (vegetable curry), Dal Bukhara (black gram lentil curry), Rajma Masala (kidney bean curry) and Pindi Chana (chick pea curry). They're all really good, and not too expensive. I think my favorite is the dal bukhara.

The second source of Indian Boil-in-the-Bag is Rangoli, which is a spinoff of Vij's next door in Vancouver, B.C. We brought these home with us on our last trip. We did declare them at the border and had no problem. These are amazing. They have to be refrigerated or kept frozen, depending on the dish. We had Garnet Yam and Green Chili Dumplings in a Creamy Onion and Tomato Curry (which is two separate dishes combined, as recommended). It was outrageously good. We also had Saag and Paneer, which was better than any I've had in the states. Next time I go to Vancouver, I'm tempted to bring a cooler.

Trader Joe's sells a few frozen Indian dishes. I tried one and I thought it was awful.
|